S M Mushrif says, in this brief interaction with rediff.com, that he would not allow the issue of Karkare's death to die down unless and until the matter is probed.
The chargesheet in the November 26, 2008, Mumbai terror strikes, which claimed over 180 lives, is likely to be filed today. The charge-sheet will be filed before a metropolitan magistrate, who will then transfer the case to the special court constituted inside the high-security Arthur Road jail.
Pakistani human rights activists on Thursday supported the decision by a special court in Mumbai to award the death sentence to Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai in November, 2008. Pakistani human rights activist Marvi Sarmad said, "The decision to hang Ajmal Kasab is a right one; he deserved it. I will say that is a right decision, which was decided after a genuine process. I am personally against capital punishment."
There are many myths about the practice of awarding a death sentence to a convict. It is popularly believed, thanks to mainstream Hindi films, that the judge breaks his nib after pronouncing the sentence.According to legal experts, the nib-breaking custom was followed by judges during the British era. Judges believed that a pen that has been used to take away the life of a human being should never be used again. But the custom was discontinued in post-independence India.
Special public prosecutor Ujwal Nikam remains calm just a day before the special court trying 26/11 accused Ajmal Kasab, Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Shaikh will deliver his judgment.
Top Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zarar Shah captured in the crackdown on militants earlier this month in Pakistani-occupied Kashmir, has confessed the group's involvement in the terror attacks in Mumbai, a media report said on Wednesday.
The Lashkar-e-Tayiba runs a dedicated technology laboratory in Muzzafarabad, Pakistan occupied Kashmir. The lab has been operational for the past six years. It has a dedicated team, which imparts training to men chosen for terrorist operations.
In a rare gesture, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Tuesday attended the trial proceedings in the 26/11 terror attack case along with Minister of State for Home Ramesh Bagwe, in a special court in Mumbai.Patil's visit assumes significance in the wake of the prosecution opening its final arguments against Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, and two Indian nationals Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
As people across the country await the verdict in the trial of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist caught during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, the trial will be remembered as perhaps the most elaborate and the fastest criminal trial held in India.
The Pakistani court hearing the Mumbai terror attack case on Wednesday rejected the appeal for the acquittal of the seven suspects arrested in the case, including Lashkar-e-Tayiba's operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi. The trial is being held at the high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.The court also turned down an application by lawyers of the seven accused.
A Pakistani anti-terror court has adjourned the trial of seven suspects, including Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case till February 26 after prosecutors sought more time for the Lahore high court to decide a related petition.
Special Public Prosecutor in the 26/11 trial Ujwal Nikam was visibly upset over a report published in a Mumbai daily.
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Friday adjourned the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks till February 17 after prosecutors sought more time for the Lahore high court to decide on a related petition. The prosecution team told anti-terrorism court Judge Rana Nisar Ahmed that more time was needed for the high court to decide on its plea.
A senior home ministry official will appear as witness on Tuesday in a special 26/11 court to throw light on the sanction given to prosecute Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab and two others on the charge of "waging war against the nation".
Advocate K P Pawar, appointed to defend Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab in the 26/11 terror attack case, on Friday declined to cross-examine 22 witnesses, including three policemen, who were part of the anti-terror operation at the Cama hospital.
Lashker-e-Taiba's (LeT) operations head Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai attacks, has challenged his indictment in the 26/11case ,saying there is not enough evidence against him.
Has Tukaram Omble already been forgotten? Harish Kotian located the spot where the brave police officer laid down his life, almost isolated during the anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks
Vinita Kamte, slain Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte's wife, reveals her struggle to unravel the truth about her husband's death on the night of November 26, 2008.
From scams and inflation to recession and a delay in reopening of colleges for the new academic year, find out what affected young Indians the most.
Tarun Vijay visits a tent camp in New Delhi where Hindu refugees from Pakistan try and start a new life.
Jillu Yadav, a police constable attached to the Railway Protection Force, was among the 26/11 heroes and survivors invited to meet President Obama at the Taj Mahal hotel.
'Whenever I prepare a joke for my performances I always have the family in mind: Would any member of the family feel offended by my joke?' 'If the answer is yes, I immediately drop it.'
A handwriting expert on Friday observed in a special court that markings shown on a map of 26/11 terror target spots recovered from slain terrorist Abu Ismail matched with specimen writings of accused Fahim Ansari, who is being tried along with Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab.
Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram on Friday voiced doubts whether Pakistan would ever extradite Mumbai terror attack accused Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and others charged in Pakistan in the 26/11 case.
Special sessions court on Thursday appointed Abbas Kazmi as new lawyer for Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the Mumbai attacks.
Souces point out that Abdul Al-Hooti could have done more than just providing SIM cards which were used during the Mumbai attack. With evidence against Al-Hooti in the Mumbai attack increasing, the Indian agencies say that apart from interrogating Headley on these lines, they would also be building a case to seek Al-Hooti's extradition from Oman.
After National Security Adviser Mahmud Ali Durrani, it was the turn of the Special Public Prosecutor in the Mumbai attacks case to be sacked by the Pakistan government for making controversial remarks on the lone captured terrorist Ajmal Kasab.
The mammoth chargesheet has been filed and the Mumbai police can proceed and try three people with immediate effect -- Ajmal Kasab, Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed. However, what would happen to the likes of Yusuf Muzzamil and Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhwi who find a mention in the chargesheet as the key conspirators? The satellite phone transcripts and various confessional statements prove their role in the case.
A Pakistani court conducting the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six other suspects in the Mumbai terror attack case on Saturday adjourned proceedings till May 22 after the prosecution sought more time to gain access to Ajmal Kasab, who was sentenced to death by an Indian court on Thursday. Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan of the Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism court put off the case for two weeks after the prosecution filed an application.
Rediff.com provides a round up of the happenings outside Mumbais' special court in photographs.
'It is not the individuals, but the system of propaganda and inducement of hatred that is to blame. And that suits the Pakistani establishment just fine: It sustains their failing State.'
Motivational speeches are key to the making of a jihadi. Even the 26/11 murderers were repeatedly asked to read and listen to speeches by Anwar al-Awlaki, who has written on the 44 different ways of supporting jihad.
Hours after an Indian court convicted Ajmal Kasab for involvement in the Mumbai attacks, Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday said his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh had told him that he trusted Pakistan to bring the perpetrators of the carnage to justice.
Fahim Ansari and Mohammad Sabahuddin Ahmed might have been let off by the Mumbai special court in the 26/11 terrorist attacks case on India's commercial capital, but they were clearly not off the hook in Uttar Pradesh, where cops were all set to nail them in an earlier attack on a Central Reserve Police Force camp in Rampur city, about 300 km from Lucknow.
Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday said that the conviction of Ajmal Kasab and the acquittal of two local accomplices in the Mumbai attack case shows India is governed by the rule of law but sends a message to Pakistan that it should not export terror. "The court has convicted certain accused. It also acquitted two accused. That shows the independence, fearlessness and integrity of the court," he told reporters while reacting to the judgment of a Mumbai court.
Amid a general alert across Mumbai, a thick security blanket has been thrown in and around Arthur Road Jail where a special court will pronounce its verdict in the Mumbai terror attacks case tomorrow.
Ajmal Kasab has revealed details of the 'final lesson' or shahdat given to him and his nine associates. The motivational speech was delivered by Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, before he escorted them to Karachi port.
Intelligence Bureau agents say Abu Hamza followed the Lashkar brief, promising the would-be terrorists escape and safety in Pakistan once their mission was completed.
According to Sabahuddin -- the prime accused in the attack on the Central Reserve Police Force camp in Rampur and the attack on the Indian Institute of Science -- the Pakistani army ensured that the new recruits had a safe passage into Lashkar camps. Sabahuddin, explaining his journey into jihad, told interrogators that he decided to tread this horrific path in the year 2002.
"We would like to know if the Congress will dismiss Minority Affairs minister A R Antulay," asked BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad on Saturday.